Now that I am into the second trimester, I’ve been having a lot more fun with maternity fashion and to me that doesn’t always mean wearing “maternity” clothes. The one thing I am realizing, though, is that no matter what I’m wearing, being able to preserve my own style is key. It’s hard enough watching my waistline grow and struggling to get my shoes tied! I need to feel like there is a little bit of me in there somewhere.
To me that means I can mix some of my regular pieces with a few new maternity pieces (or at least ones that will flatter my new figure) to keep my own sense of self. And since this is my second time around, I have nailed down some of the essentials a mama-to-be needs to be comfy and cute.
- T-Shirt Dresses: These don’t even need to be maternity, because generally this style is super forgiving and flattering on every figure. Love these easy ones from Old Navy and Gap.
- A Solid Pair of Jeans: I personally like the ones that have a full panel covering my whole belly because they are just more supportive and I don’t have to worry about showing any skin. But since I’m only in these jeans 9 months, I don’t want to break the bank. Classic ones like these are great, or for more of an edge I am loving these.
- Mid-Length Dresses: A key staple for me! I especially love ones that have some stretch to them so they can grow with me. The mid-length is the best since I’m not feeling like showing off too much leg these days. Cheap and cute ones here and here.
- Blazers: A blazer always classes up a basic outfit to me and is so easy to throw over a t-shirt dress or even t-shirt and jeans. I’ve been really into the blazer for work lately since it requires NO thought and I don’t ever have to worry about them not fitting. I pull these from my closet, but love these ones from madewell even though they are a bit more expensive.
- Leggings: You would think these would be easy to find, but not all leggings are created equal in maternity land. I hate when my leggings are falling down and I am constantly readjusting, so I’ve found these ones from motherhood maternity that have a full panel that really holds. LOVE. Great for weekends or to wear under shorter dresses from my pre-maternity wardrobe.
- An Open Front Leather Jacket: I wouldn’t make it through fall without mine and it is a perfect piece even while pregnant. The fact that it is meant to be worn open is perfect right now and adds some edge to a basic mid-length dress.
- Gap Body T-Shirts: Last time around, I wore these waaaaay beyond the actual pregnancy because they are just super comfortable and flattering. I plan on living in these until March (or beyond!).
Shop This Look: